Code of Ethics
This Code is established in accordance with the objectives of the NAAC and the NAABA to protect and advance the interests of American Dirus and to provide guidelines for responsible ownership and ethical breeding practices.
ALL POTENTIAL BREEDERS SHALL:
I will read and take the American Dirus Breeding test and upon passing this test I will be awarded the BREEDER'S CERTIFICATE. In such, I will become knowledgeable about inherited health problems and will keep in contact with the DireWolf Dogs, Int'l for new information on genetic defects within our breed. I will do appropriate health clearances on all breeding animals. Copies of these health clearances will be available to all buyers and will be posted on my web site.
I will keep an up to date website of my facilities and all my stocks. This website will include the following pages:
- Description of the breed.
- Description of our facilities.
- A page displaying our dogs.
- Puppies for sale.
- Guarantee and contracts page.
- Links to all other breeders and clubs.
I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dogs for sale or puppies for sale.
Display good sportsmanship and conduct, whether at home, at shows, or in hotels, in such a manner as to reflect credit upon themselves and the DireWolf Dogs, Int'l.
Not alter the appearance, physical structure, condition, or natural temperament of a dog by any means other than allowed for in the Official Breed Standard if the dog is to be exhibited.
Bear the responsibility for the truth and accuracy of any information and/or photographs submitted for publication.
I will comply with all federal, state or provincial and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs or I will move to a state in which I share their beliefs.
ALL BREEDERS SHALL:
I will breed only for the purpose of “improving the quality of the breed."
I will provide information on the characteristics and properties of all dogs/puppies in my breeding program.
I will consult with the DireWolf Dogs, Int'l Breeder's Board when planning each litter, selecting a stud dog and bitch to be mated based on their temperaments, conformation and standards for the breed.
I will use the Breed Founder and the DireWolf Dogs, Int'l Quality Inspector and/or Breed specialists to help me decide which dogs bred together would produce quality pups according to our breed's standards.I will respect each buyer's constitutional rights to have and enjoy their property as they see fit.
I will breed American Dirus which are temperamentally and structurally sound by using the Breeders Club and its Board for the diagnoses of my litters and I will have them all tested as required.
I will use the scoring numbers to decide which pups I should bred with and I will always discuss such matters with the Breeders Board.
I will Be familiar with the Breed Standards and breed only those dogs and bitches which most closely conform to it.
I do so promise to keep well informed in the field of genetics and work to eliminate hereditary defects from the breed.
I will refrain from further use of any American Dirus for breeding if the dog or bitch has produced any offspring with serious inherited defects detrimental to an animal's well being (physically or mentally), and has produced like results with a different mating partner and I will discuss this matter with the Breeders Board.
I will never breed to an unregistered American Dirus.
I will NOT wholesale litters of American Dirus, sell to Brokers or Pet Shops, provide any animal for prize or raffle purposes; nor use a Stud Dog in like manner.
I will keep all puppies with the litter until at least 7 or 8 weeks of age.
I will maintain a safe, clean and sanitary facility for all the dogs under my care.
I will keep accurate records and retain those records for a minimum of ten years. These records will include:
- Stud service contracts.
- All litter information of puppies for sale
- All dogs/puppies sold.
- Health records.
At time of sale:
- a properly executed registration certificate together with full written disclosure of the name of the registry the pup was and/or is registered with and its written standards and requirements (or if puppy is not to be registered a written statement to that effect). Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided to the new owner of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (eg. Until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian, or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth and the registration numbers of the sire and dam is provided instead).
- A written, three-generation pedigree.
- Health record including inoculation, parasite control record and health guarantee.
- Basic diet and care information.
- The period during which a licensed veterinarian, at the buyer's expense may examine the pup or dog.
I will also:
Sell or place each American Dirus with the contemplated final owner, therefore the seller should ascertain that the prospective buyer has the knowledge and facilities to properly care for a growing or grown dog.
As a condition of sale or placement, the breeder shall retain the right of first refusal should the purchaser ever decide to transfer ownership or resell the dog, therefore giving the seller every opportunity to help the purchaser find a new home for the dog if necessary.
I will make sure that all dogs sold (puppy or adult) shall have a signed agreement between the seller and purchaser that the animal shall be examined by a veterinarian of the purchaser's choice (and paid for by that party) within 72 hours of purchase or delivery.
If the dog is deemed unhealthy or possessing an inherited defect which would impair the use for which it was purchased (pet, show or breeding program) the seller will refund the full purchase price upon the return of the dog with a veterinarian certified documentation of the condition.
The dog will be returned at the purchaser's expense.
I also agree to be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs that I have sold for the life of the dog.
IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT:
All dogs and bitches to be bred be x-rayed prior to breeding.
A written Stud Contract be used which specifies all conditions of the breeding and a color marked pedigree be provided by both parties.
A stud dog should be a year or more of age before breeding and a bitch not less than 10 months.
Both parties provide veterinarian reports certifying that each animal is clear of any transmittable infections.
With the agreement of both the seller and the purchaser, any puppy sold as a show prospect which subsequently develops a disqualifying defect shall be:
- replaced by the breeder with another show prospect puppy and the dog returned to the seller, OR
- the money refunded and the dog returned to the seller, OR
- the buyer's money refunded to the extent of the difference between the price paid and the price of the pet puppies sold from the same or similar litters if the buyer retains and spays or neuters the dog.
CODE OF ETHICS COMMITTEE
- Lois Schwarz
- Jennifer Stoeckl
- Lois Schwarz
- Jennifer Stoeckl